Corneal Collagen Cross Linking (C3R)
Corneal Collagen Cross Linking with Riboflavin is an innovative treatment developed specially for Keratoconus patients. Cornea collagen cross linking is very popular as C3R. This treatment includes one time application of riboflavin solution to the eye and is activated by the illumination of ultra violet rays.
The usage of Riboflavin in C3R treatment helps to recover and preserve some of the cornea’s mechanical strength. This treatment helps to eradicate the damage to keratoconus patients who suffer from this progressive disease. Cornea collagen cross linking gains an intellectual success for treating in the early stages of the keratoconus disease.
Symptoms of Keratoconus
Keratoconus is nothing but a non inflammatory progressive disorder where a normally round cornea becomes thin and irregular conical shape.
In the earlier stages, it is highly difficult to identify the disease of keratoconus. Some symptoms are:
- Gradual loss of sight
- Sensitivity to light
- Blurred eyesight with illness
- Misappropriate watering of eyes
As a part of Corneal collagen cross linking treatment, ultra violet rays are used along with riboflavin eye drops. Ultra violet rays are not harmful to eyes when used in measured dosages. The light emission is carefully measured prior to the treatment, to ensure that it is not harmful. However, riboflavin that is used on the cornea absorbs the UV rays. It will prevent the UV rays from direct contact with retina layer.
Corneal collagen cross-linking can be induced by the treatment of impregnating Riboflavin (B2) in to the cornea and exposure to ultraviolet-A light is a safe, effective and minimally invasive procedure to reduce disease progression, increase the strength of the cornea and to improve the cornea’s optical properties in eyes with early keratoconus.
As long as keratoconus is diagnosed early enough – a stabilization of clinical findings and visual acuity can be achieved without a need for a corneal transplant or further progression. It is the first treatment for Keratoconus and also the number of penetrating keratoplasty surgeries can be significantly reduced in the future. The treatment is relatively easy, low cost and is available through out the world. The ultimate aim of this treatment is to avoid Keratoconus. The early use of the cross-linking treatment must be advised to the patient as an option for them to halt any further progression once Keratoconus has been diagnosed. So that there will be a chance to avoid Keratoconus advancement and all the other problems that can cause with vision correction.
Advantages of Corneal Collagen Cross Linking
- A simple non invasive treatment
- This treatment strengthens the cornea. Only one time treatment of C3R is required for keratoconus patients with less risk.
- C3R treatment helps to reduce the cone shape of cornea that is occurred due to keratoconus disease. A deep study of professional researchers stated that C3R helps to flatten the curvature completely on a long time basis.
- The main advantage of C3R treatment is: it can give some relief from progressive Ectasia. To say frankly C3R is not a perfect treatment procedure for Ectasia but there is hope for further development of C3R.
- No need to suffer from keratoconus disease any more. Researchers and surgeons are looking forward for further development of C3R treatment to keep the pace with changing medical science technology.